Sleepless nights before the exam?
Unable to recall things during the exam and then recalled everything afterwards?
Mind-freeze during the exam?
Exam anxiety is that unbearable feeling of intense fear or panic before an exam. No matter how much hard work you have put in, the D Day exam anxiety leaves you all numb and blank.
Impact of high anxiety
Although, certain amount of anxiety is important for good performance but when it increases to higher levels, it starts hampering the performance rather.
It becomes difficult to focus on the task at hand. There is difficulty in comprehending relatively simple instructions and trouble in recalling relevant information.
There are many students who put in their hard work for the most difficult exams like JEE, BITSAT, PMT etc but do not get desired results due to exam anxiety.
Ways to cure exam anxiety
When there is a problem, there is a solution too. There are various ways to help you with the exam anxiety. Go, try them yourself and see:
1) Breathe calmly and relax yourself
Relax and take deep breaths to release the anxiety. Use some of the Stress Buster exercises such as deep breathing and muscle relaxation.
2) Engage yourself in positive self-talk
Confidence plays the key role. If you have enough confidence, you will stop fearing of the unseen and unknown. Have a positive self-talk session to boost your confidence. Learn and practice over time, how to challenge your negative thoughts
3) Maintain a healthy lifestyle
Do aerobic exercises on a regular basis. Don’t forget to stretch your body when you are putting in long study hours. Take 7-8 hours of sleep and don’t change your sleeping pattern days before your exam. Avoid junk food. Follow a balanced and nutritious eating routine. Avoid substances that increase anxiety: Coffee, Sugar, Tea
4) Study effectively
Planning your day and organizing your academic schedule is important to reduce anxiety at last moment. Study in 50-minute slots with 10-minute relaxation breaks for better concentration and high retention power. Learn memory enhancement techniques. Practice for your exam in the real test environment so that your body clock gets adjusted to the actual exam day
Anxiety Reduction techniques
• Relaxation is more important than entertainment. So, whenever you get time, try relaxing your mind and body
• Train your mind to stay in present moment. This can be done by focusing over your breaths
• Motivate yourself and own your goal
• Increase your self-esteem
• While preparing for the exam, visualize a positive exam-writing experience
What to do during the exam
• Do a positive self-talk when you enter the exam hall
• Read through the exam at the beginning and figure out how much time to spend on each question
• To build confidence, start with the subject you know rather than focusing on the ones you don’t
• Wear a watch to monitor your time
• Don’t distract your mind by thinking about the consequences
• Mentally yell “STOP and FOCUS” to break the cycle
• Don’t focus on getting rid of the anxiety because that will only feed it
• Take a 30-second “mini-break”
• Concentrate on the way you read your question
• Take deep breaths at constant intervals
Now that you know how to fight your exam anxiety, make sure you practice these in your daily routine to get the desired results in your exam.
All the best!
Isha is a content writer and have a keen interest in the domain of education. She strongly feels that education is the basic and most important parameter in any human's life and feel like its a responsibility to spread awareness about it.